Tuesday, July 5, 2011

[Berlin] The other half

Location: Same as above..Lima Airport

Last post was about..serious stuff. Well at every place there's the serious, carefully planned out half, and then there's the random-but-equally-valuable half. This post will be the latter.

Train Station

The Friedrichstrasse Station is one of the main train stations in Berlin, located conveniently in middle of the city. The station is massive with variety of cafes and restaurants inside and in its surroundings, all which are filled with tourists and businessmen. Because of these features, walking in the station one would assume that the infrastructure is rather new. That is, until he or she sees the statue above.

That's exactly what happened to me. At first I thought it was just another random statue of a children. Couldn’t be more wrong. This statue represents such a significant part of the holocaust history. Turns out that this is the station that first sent out Jewish children outside of Germany to prevent being sent to concentration camps. This statue was dedicated to not only those children who were separated from their parents, but also to those family members who were left behind and, often did not survive.


Park
Similar to the time in Cyprus, there was also a place in Berlin that I’ve seen on TV prior to this trip. And again it was a park. Unlike the time in Cyprus however, it was quite difficult looking for this one..because it’s not on the guide book nor did I remember the name of the park. All I remembered was that it was a tiny park in middle of a residential area..and it had a tipped over chair. Yes, I walked around Berlin for 2 hours to look for a tipped over chair. But hey, I found it.


Alright, from here, it gets completely random
Cool seats
Cool seats in the restaurant. Imagine sitting in those chairs alone and then asking someone to take a picture of you. ..ouch

Berlin Muji

I’ve been to the Muji in New York, but I didn’t know of Mujis in any other place. So I’m guessing theres also ones in London and Paris? Well I walked in just to see if workers and customers were Japanese. Turns out, not really.


Stuff
Sushi and STUFF? …it’s gotta be better. I’ve noticed in a lot of countries that to foreigners, Japanese food means solely sushi. I thought it was bad when Americans would randomly yell “Sushi Tempura Teriyaki!” or “Caaaaaalifornia Roll and Spam Musubi is so goooood”…but I guess I should appreciate what they know. Even in Germany, where you see Japanese restaurants here and there, people only know of sushi…and this photo proves that perfectly.



Concluding Berlin

I think I need to visit Berlin again. There's just so much history in this city, it's simply amazing. The city has struggled in the past and have managed to cope with it's own sour experience. East and West. Past and Present. As represented by the statue above, "Balance" has always been the key to this city.
and now, to "the Beer Capital of the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment